Shalim and Jazur Al Hallaniyat islands are due east of the Oman coast from Hasik and start some 30 Km offshore to 80 Km. Only Hallaniyat was inhabited. The group of islands are better known by their former name as the Kuria Muria Islands.
In 1967 Britain handed the islands back to Oman having initially received them as a gift to Queen Victoria from Sayyid Sa’id bin Sultan who ruled 1807 – 1856.
The photograph opposite shows a typical method of inshore fishing which was the main occupation with subsistance living standards that barely supported the population.
A very short airstrip built by the Desert Regiment in 1967 on Al Hallaniya (the largest island of the group) limited flying to the use of Skyvans, and civil aid was essential with medical support a priority in order to eradicate TB from which many inhabitants suffered.
We provide a gallery of photographs exclusive to these islands because of the distinctive nature of the environment and inhabitants.
Copyright C 2013 KDesign
Web Site 3rd Edition